-

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Number 2 shaped cake

Hello friends, I hope that you are doing great and had an incredible week!! We are still waiting on the little lady inside to make her appearance but things are moving along! 

Yesterday (Friday) was my little girls 2nd birthday! I couldn't decide what kind of cake to make for her...not which flavor but which design/character/etc. My husband had a great idea (again! he's been on a roll lately)! He said, "why not make a "2" cake?" I thought that was a great idea!! So Thursday night at 10:40pm I put the cakes in the oven (nothing like waiting till the last minute). While the cake baked I sewed the 2 on little Hannah's shirt!! Procrastination at its finest!

I wanted to share here how I made the 2 because it took some thinking through in order to make it happen. Yes, it was easy to make but just wanted to save y'all the hassle of thinking ;). Here's how I made her 2 cake!

I baked the cake in my grandmas old jello mold and a loaf pan. The jello mold took 22 minutes to bake and the loaf pan cake took 30 minutes so make sure to check with a toothpick and don't assume they'll be done at the same time.

I traced the jello mold and then folded the circle in half 4 times then I cut a two part section off hoping it would be a good size to make the top curving part of the two! Lucky guess, it worked great!

I used the little cut paper piece as a cutting template for myself. Then I put the cake on my foil lined baking sheet and made it look like a 2.

I took the loaf cake and cut it in half the long way and cut each half in half. I put the top halves aside because they were uneven and I knew I wouldn't need them. Then I put frosting between the two layers of the bottom of the 2 and a little frosting between the parts where the curve met.

I then put the cake in the freezer for a bit so I can frost it without a ton of crumbs. 

One trick I've learned is to put some wax paper under the edges of the cake so that the frosting doesn't get on the plate. 

I do a crumb coat...it's just a thin layer of frosting so that the crumbs that will inevitably get mixed into the frosting come up into the frosting. After the crumb coat is on I put it back in the freezer for about 30 minutes and then I'll put the final layer of frosting and decorations on the cake.

Just had to share this photo! A good way to remember my little girls birthday...my huge belly and her 2 cake!


I added one more layer of frosting...smoothed things out the best I could and added a few pink decorations. I was finishing up the decorating AT my parents house right before dinner...again, procrastination at its finest!






My awesome crazy family at Hannah's birthday party!! My parents cooked one of my favorite meals and I'm so grateful...it was a great way to celebrate Hannah!!!!


Just wanted to show you how to make a number 2 shaped birthday cake! Hope it can come in handy for you and your 2 year old sometime! Have a great weekend!

Oh and if you didn't see it, I have a SHABBY APPLE $50 Gift card giveaway going on at my blog. Giveaway ends Sunday night and entries are LOW so head over there and enter today!!

4 comments:

  1. WOwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    This is a master-piece !!
    Gorgeous cake
    Thanks for the tutorial(!)

    I wish I could have a slice

    Happy Birthday Hannah !!
    Such a lucky girl to this beautiful cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did great on the cake mama, happy birthday to your little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! The little one looks really pleased with the cake.... I would be too if my Mum could do cake magic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi we are your newest follower! Hope you will follow us back!
    The Busy Bee's
    thebusybhive.blogspot.com
    thebusyb.hive@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. We appreciate every comment and try to reply via email to as many as we can. Have a fantastic day!

UPDATE...Sorry I had to update my comments to be approved. Spam is now getting through. :(